Commander Angus Essenhigh
Commanding Officer, HMS Daring (UK Royal Navy)
Seven months into a high-profile nine-month Asia-Pasic deployment, the UK Royal Navy’s (RN’s) Type 45 anti-air warfare destroyer HMS Daring Has notched up several firsts, including its successful detection and tracking of ballistic missile targets at the US Army’s Reagan test site in the Marsha Islands.
One first that Daring’s commanding officer, Commander Angus Essenhigh, was happy to avoid was blocking the Panama Canal.
“Daring was the first Type 45 to transit the canal, and it was a challenge; the ship is 22 metres wide and the canals are about 35 metres wide, which is not a lot of room, but the dominant feature is that our stabilisers project beyond the waterline,” he told IHS Jane’s.
IHS Jane's Defence Weekly finds and interviews the people who matter in the international defence space – from government military and political leaders to company directors.
Recent interviews include:
- David Johnston – Minister of Defence, Australia
- Air Chief Marshal Tahir Rafique Butt – Chief of the Air Staff, Pakistan Air Force
- Stephen Ball – Chief Executive, Lockheed Martin UK
- Shmaya Avieli – Head of Sibat
- Andy Start – President of Global Government business, Inmarsat
- Murad Bayar – Undersecretary of the Turkish Under secretariat for Defence Industries
Every week IHS Jane's Defence Weekly magazine keeps you up to date with the very latest news, analysis, information and opinion on global military defence issues.
As a weekly publication, you can rest assured that IHS Jane's Defence Weekly will keep you abreast with all the defence issues that matter, throughout the world.